STEM CELL AESTHETICS
A NEW WAY TO ENHANCE THE SKIN
In the last few decades, minimally-invasive technologies and techniques have changed the medical landscape. Today, doctors who perform cosmetic procedures have an increasingly sophisticated range of treatments at their disposal, which means that patients have greater possibilities to achieve their enhancement goals. For those wishing to combat the signs of aging, there is a novel treatment that may pave the way to better skin. Stem Cell Aesthetics is a revolutionary new therapy that can potentially help regenerate damaged skin.
Stem cells are undifferentiated biological cells that can differentiate into specialized cells and can divide (through mitosis) to produce more stem cells. They are found in multicellular organisms. In mammals, there are two broad types of stem cells: embryonic stem cells, which are isolated from the inner cell mass of blastocysts, and adult stem cells, which are found in various tissues. In adult organisms, stem cells and progenitor cells act as a repair system for the body, replenishing adult tissues. In a developing embryo, stem cells can differentiate into all the specialized cells— ectoderm, endoderm and mesoderm – but also maintain the normal turnover of regenerative organs, such as blood, skin, or intestinal tissues.
There are three known accessible sources of autologous adult stem cells in humans:
- Bone marrow, which requires extraction by harvesting, that is, drilling into bone (typically the femur or iliac crest).
- Adipose tissue (lipid cells), which requires extraction by liposuction.
- Blood, which requires extraction through apheresis, wherein blood is drawn from the donor (similar to a blood donation), and passed through a machine that extracts the stem cells and returns other portions of the blood to the donor.
Stem cells can also be taken from umbilical cord blood just after birth. Of all stem cell types, autologous harvesting involves the least risk. By definition, autologous cells are obtained from one’s own body, just as one may bank his or her own blood for elective surgical procedures.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are stromal cells that have the capacity to develop into specialize cells in a process called cellular differentiation. MSCs are pluripotent, or able to become a range of cell types, including cells that produce collagen and support cells for skin enhancement.
During a Stem Cell Aesthetics procedure, MSCs are introduced into the treatment area when an stem cell suspension product in injected into the skin or applied to the skin after laser or micro needling treatment. The injection product contains growth factors and other cellular products, which are involved in the body’s regenerative functions.
A Stem Cell Aesthetics procedure takes about 30 minutes to complete and does not require surgery. The non-invasive treatment can:
- Help smooth out wrinkles and reduce the sign of aging
- Improve the appearance of acne scars
- Repair damaged hair follicles
- Promote healing of damaged skin cells
- Facilitate tissue repair
- Increase collagen production
- Augment and enhance other treatments – fillers, micro needling, laser, and therapy Stem Cell Aesthetics is part of f.clinic’s holistic approach.
A Stem Cell Aesthetics procedure can be combined with other non-surgical procedures to produce optimal results.
Laser treatments use heat energy to prompt the skin to produce more collagen. When laser light is directed towards the area of concern, it penetrates the skin and reaches the skin’s deep layer (dermis). This starts a healing process that, over time, can smooth etched-in lines and tighten the skin. When combined with a laser treatment like the MiXto Fractionated CO2 Laser, stem cells can help decrease inflammation and speed the healing process.
Stem Cell Aesthetics can be combined with micro needling (with or without PRP) to enhance the result of the treatment and use micro needling to deliver stem cells into the skin.
FILLERS TO BUILD COLLAGEN
Injectable dermal fillers offer a way to increase facial volume and counteract depleted skin. Fillers help to replenish lost collagen by stimulating the body to produce collagen naturally. When injected, collagen-promoting fillers can yield long-lasting results. This result is enhanced when fillers are combined with Stem Cell Aesthetics. By combining two treatments that increase collagen production, one is able to achieve longer lasting, natural appearing results.
Stem cell injections can be used alone or in combination with platelet rich plasma to promote hair follicle growth and support existing hair follicles. This treatment can be combined with other treatments as well, including nutritional supplementation and energy based devices.
YOUR FACIAL REJUVENATION CONSULTATION AT F.CLINIC
If you are interested in the latest advances in non-surgical facial rejuvenation, contact us and our team can recommend a customized plan to improve the texture and overall appearance of your skin.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is so special about umbilical cord stem cells? How is this treatment different from other stem cell treatments?
The use of the Umbilical Cord tissue matrix is less invasive when compared to bone marrow aspiration, or adipose (fat) tissue extraction. This results in less pain, lowered morbidity and fewer complications for the patient and a much shorter procedure time.
The Mesenchymal Stem Cells or “MSC’s” that are currently being harvested from bone marrow and/or adipose (fat) tissue are less potent, lack the same proliferation and vary greatly in concentration. The MSCs that are extracted from fat and bone marrow are not able to secrete the full spectrum of growth factors.
Umbilical Cord Tissue MSC’s are “young” perinatal cells. Because of the age and fitness of these cells, they are able to produce all of the necessary growth factors as compared to “older” adipose or bone marrow cells.
Umbilical Cord Tissue MSC’s are simply more robust than other MSC’s from other sources. Range and level of specific cytokines that are greater and different from those expressed by fat derived adult mesenchymal stem cells. The Umbilical Cord Tissue MSCs have a much higher rate of proliferation when compared MSC’s derived from either adipose or bone marrow.
More importantly, the number and potency of MSC’s derived from “fat” is dependent on many factors: health and age of the patient, fitness of the patient, obesity, disease, smoking, etc. Liposuction aspirate contains far fewer MSC’s than Umbilical Cord tissue. Liposuction derived tissue ranges from 10,000 to 400,000 cells per 60cc’s. f.clinic’s Umbilical Cord Stem Cells contain 1 million live viable young perinatal MSC’s per 1cc post thaw. (Centers of Excellence Third Party verified).
WHERE ARE THE STEM CELLS COMING FROM?
AND ARE THEY RECENTLY HARVESTED?
Umbilical cord stem cells are obtained from C-section deliveries from normal, full-term pregnancies. Donors that consent to use of their birth tissues are carefully screened prior to the use of their tissues in manufacturing the product and all precautions are taken. The product is then screened again after the stem cells are extracted.
HAVE THE STEM CELLS BEEN TESTED FOR DISEASE? ARE THEY BEING VETTED AND IF SO, HOW?
- Donors that consent to use of their birth tissues are carefully screened prior to the use of their tissues in manufacturing the stem cells.
- Comprehensive medical and social histories of the donors are obtained and tissues are procured, processed, and tested in accordance with standards established by the AATB and FDA requirements to minimize potential risks of disease transmission to recipients.
- Each donor is tested for HBsAg (Hepatitis B Surface Antigen), HBcAb (hepatitis B core Anti-body), HCV (hepatitis C Antibody), HIV I/II-Ab (Antibody to Human Immunodeficiency Virus Types 1 and Syphilis detection test, HIV NAT (HIV Nucleic Acid Test), and HCV NAT (HCV NucleicAcid Test).
- All products are tested post-sterilization to demonstrate the absence of bacterial and fungal pathogens and are non-pyrogenic. CAN I BE ALLERGIC TO STEM CELL AESTHETICS? f.clinic’s umbilical cord stem cells lack MHC-ll and HLA. Thus the product is immunomodulatory. The product does not elicit an allergic response.